Towards trusted data sharing: guidance and case studies
1. Royal Academy of Engineering and IET (2015), Connecting data: driving productivity and innovation, https://www.raeng.org.uk/publications/reports/connecting-data-driving-productivity
2. Office for Statistics Regulation (2018), Joining up data for better statistics, https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/publication/joining-up-data/
3. Royal Academy of Engineering and IET, Connecting Data – case studies: where are the success stories? Case study: Energy – optimising performance in the energy industry, iQRA: Wood Group Intetech https://www.theiet.org/sectors/information-communications/topics/connected-data/articles/connecting-data.cfm?
4. This was a key finding in the joint RAEng/IET report, Connecting data: driving productivity and innovation (2015)
5. Ethical frameworks include the Open Data Institute Data Ethics Canvas, the Machine Intelligence Garage’s Ethical Framework and DCMS’ Data Ethics Framework.
6. Government Office for Science and Council for Science and Technology (2018), Computational modelling: technological futures, Box: challenges and opportunities for modelling the built environment, p.83 and p.84 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/computational-modelling-blackett-review and
West, M. (2011), Developing high quality data models, Elsevier.
7. Blog: Mark Enzer, Chair of the Digital Framework Task Group, July 2018, www.cdbb.cam.ac.uk/Blog/2018JulyBlogEnzer
8. Department for Culture, Media and Sport and the Rt Hon Karen Bradley (March 2017), UK Digital Strategy, www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-digital-strategy
9. World Economic Forum Global Risks Report 2016, 11th Edition, www3.weforum.org/docs/GRR/WEF_GRR16.pdf
10. Professor Dame Wendy Hall DBE FREng FRS and Jerome Pesenti (October 2017), Growing the artificial intelligence industry in the UK, www.gov.uk/government/publications/growing-the-artificial-intelligence-industry-in-the-uk
11. Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (April 2018), AI Sector Deal, www.gov.uk/government/publications/artificial-intelligence-sector-deal/ai-sector-deal
12. HM Treasury (August 2018), The economic value of data, www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-economic-value-of-data-discussion-paper
13. EU Digital Single Market, Free flow of non-personal data, https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/free-flow-non-personal-data
14. GSMA (September 2018), Cross-border data flows: realising benefits and removing barriers.
15. Thomas, L.D.W and Leiponen, A (2016), Big data commercialisation, IEEE Engineering Management Review, 44(2), December 2016.
16. Thomas, L.D.W and Leiponen, A (2016), Big data commercialisation, IEEE Engineering Management Review, 44(2), December 2016.
17. ODI (July 2018), What is a data trust? https://theodi.org/article/what-is-a-data-trust
18. HM Government (2018), AI Sector Deal.
19. See, for example, ICO, Data sharing code of practice [currently being updated following implementation of the 2018 Data Protection Act] https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1068/data_sharing_code_of_practice.pdf
20. Thomas, L.D.W and Leiponen, A (2016), Big data commercialisation, IEEE Engineering Management Review, 44(2), December 2016.
21. Thomas, L.D.W and Leiponen, A (2016), Big data commercialisation, IEEE Engineering Management Review, 44(2), December 2016.
22. Mortier, R., Zhao, J., Crowcroft, J., Wang, L., Li, Q., Haddadi, H., Crabtree, A., Colley, J. Lodge, T., Brown, A., McAuley, D. and Greenhalgh, C. (2016), Personal data management with the Databox: What’s inside the box?, CAN '16 Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Workshop on Cloud-Assisted Networking, pages 49-54. www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/%7Ehamed/papers/CAN2016Databox.pdf
23. Containerisation is a method for deploying and running distributed applications that uses multiple isolated systems rather than launching an entire virtual machine for each application. A virtual machine (VM) is an operating system (OS) or application environment that is installed on software, which imitates dedicated hardware.
24. Chamberlain, A., Crabtree, A., Haddadi, H. et al. (2017), Editorial: Special theme on privacy and the Internet of things, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00779-017-1066-5
25. Hub-of-all-things, www.hubofallthings.com/
26. CitizenMe www.citizenme.com/
27. ODI and Fingleton Associates (September 2014), Data Sharing and Open Data for Banks, A report for HM Treasury and Cabinet Office. www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/382273/141202_API_Report_FINAL.PDF
28. A ‘whitelist’ could, for example, be a list of permitted IP addresses.
29. Ingenia Article - Issue 75, June 2018, Should we trust connected devices? Paul Taylor FREng
30. Greater Manchester Academic Health Science Network, Datawell, www.gmahsn.org/datawell
31. GM-Connect: Greater Manchester’s Strategic Data Sharing Initiative
32. Triangulum is one of currently nine European Smart Cities and Communities Lighthouse Projects involving Manchester, Einhoven and Stavanger. In Manchester, the focus is on renovating historical buildings and providing an autonomous energy grid that supplies heat and electricity for the student quarter in the city. http://www.triangulum-project.eu/
33. Bristol is Open www.bristolisopen.com/
34. Future City Glasgow futurecity.glasgow.gov.uk/
35. Smart Service Welt and Acatech, March 2016, Smart Service Welt - recommendations for the Strategic Initiative Web-based Services for Businesses
36. Otto, B., Auer, S., Cirullies, J., Jürjens, J, Menz, N., Schon, J. and Wenzel, S. (2016), White Paper: Industrial Data Space – digital sovereignty over data, Fraunhofer, www.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/zv/en/fields-of-research/industrial-data-space/whitepaper-industrial-data-space-eng.pdf
37. Fraunhofer (2017), Reference architecture model for the Industrial Data Space, www.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/zv/de/Forschungsfelder/industrial-data-space/Industrial-Data-Space_Reference-Architecture-Model-2017.pdf
38. Fraunhofer (2017), Reference architecture model for the Industrial Data Space, www.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/zv/de/Forschungsfelder/industrial-data-space/Industrial-Data-Space_Reference-Architecture-Model-2017.pdf
39. DAFNI: Bridging the gap between academic research, data analysis and strategic infrastructure planning, www.dafni.ac.uk
40. National Infrastructure Commission (December 2017), Data for the public good.
41. Eurostep provides innovative software and solutions for secure PLM collaboration with ShareAspace. www.eurostep.com
42. Department of Energy and Climate Change, The smart metering system, assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/426135/Smart_Metering_System_leaflet.pdf
43. Ofgem, Transition to smart meters, www.ofgem.gov.uk/gas/retail-market/metering/transition-smart-meters
44. DECC (2014), Smart meter roll-out for the domestic and small and medium non-domestic sectors (GB): Impact Assessment, www.gov.uk/government/publications/smart-meter-roll-out-for-the-domestic-and-small-and-medium-non-domestic-sectors-gb-impact-assessment
46. TM Forum Live Catalyst Charters (2016), Service Level Management for Smart City Ecosystems and Trusted IoT, projects.tmforum.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62161164